Thursday, March 28, 2013

Veggie stir fry

I get ask for healthy fast dinner ideas by friends. Here is one that is one of my favorites. Its great to have it on hand and I can have it thrown together and ready to eat in minutes.
I cook my brown rice in advance. Cook up a cup or two and put in the fridge. I will last about 4-5 days. One thing I have learned is that it is best to use the short grain brown rice. Not the 10 minute. Which I have used for years. So take some time on a Sunday or Monday and cook up the old fashion style rice and then put up for the week.
I also go ahead and wash and cut my broccoli and carrots. And any veggies you want! This is a great dish to use those vegetables that might be getting ready to go bad.
Get a pan that has a lid. Throw in your rice. Couple of spoon full and your veggies. And I use this stuff called Braggs Liquid Aminos. Its a natural non gmo soy sauce alternative. It still has sodium like that lovely soy sauce, but you don't need much at all. I use about 2-3 big splashes for the whole dish. You can find this at Ingles. Garners in Spartanburg has small bottles if you dont want to invest in such a big bottle This one was about 8 or 9 bucks. But is a huge bottle and will last a while!
Now stir lightly and cover and this will allow your veggies to steam. I would say medium heat for about 10  minutes? I am bad at measuring, degrees and timing when I am cooking. I just look and smell! lol
Soon you will have a simple, healthy FAST food! :)
Notice I am eating on Miles' kid plate. This also helps in portion size. I eat on smaller plates and my eyes and stomach just think I have a plate FULL of food! Sounds crazy, but really helps! Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment